What is Dukkah?
Dukkah is a nut, seed and spice mixture of Egyptian origin. Spice & Co. Dukkah combines toasted almonds, sesame seeds and spices. Dukkah is traditionally served as a snack or at breakfast.
As a snack (or with drinks) - serve the Dukkah in a small bowl alongside a small dish of extra virgin olive oil and bite sized pieces of grilled Turkish bread or sour dough. Dip bread in the oil, then coat in a thin layer of Dukkah, then enjoy!
Other uses & Ideas
- Sprinkle Dukkah with a little sea salt & extra virgin olive oil over hard or semi boiled eggs (quartered).
- "Dust'' Dukkah over cheese melts or oven dried tomatoes.
- Place a spoon of fork mashed avocado on grilled sour dough toast and sprinkle with Dukkah. Add Dukkah to fresh breadcrumbs and use to crumb chicken breasts, fish fillets, lamb cutlets or button mushrooms.
- Or sprinkle on top your of your favourite dip e.g. Baba Ganoush/ Hummus.
- Make healthy crackers with flat bread, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with Dukkah- bake and break into pieces to serve with dips, meats and cheeses.
- Add to Salads - Sauté in pan some sourdough bread ripped to pieces with a little oil, (best when bread old), add in Dukkah for a minute - use to top any salad (Greek, potato, green).
- Roast cauliflower, add dollop of hummus and top with Dukkah.
- Use to make a delicious crust on lamb or a chicken breast.
- Try a delicious green bean salad with fennel and dukkah (below).
Green Bean Salad with Fennel and Dukkah
- 3 tablespoons Spice & Co Egyptian Dukkah
- ½ kg green beans, trimmed
- 1 medium fennel bulb with fronds
- Finely grated zest from 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- ) Cook green beans in a large pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, 5–7 minutes. Drain, then transfer immediately to a large bowl filled with ice water. Drain.
- ) Meanwhile, coarsely chop fennel fronds; set aside. Cut fennel bulb in half lengthwise, then thinly slice each half lengthwise. (Use a mandolin if you have!)
- ) Whisk lemon zest and olive oil. Add green beans, sliced fennel, and Dukkah and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer salad to a serving platter, then top with fennel fronds and further sprinkle of Dukkah.
Click here to buy Spice & Co Dukkah Online.