Choose fresh-looking zucchini flowers that still closed and are not wilted. If the baby zucchini is attached to the flower, it should be firm, slender and glossy green.
These spring treasures are highly perishable, especially the flowers. The flowers are best used within 1 day of purchasing while those with the baby zucchini attached will last for a little longer when stored covered with a damp paper towel in an airtight container in the fridge.
Cut off the stem from the male zucchinis and make a small cut in the flower to remove the pistil. Then fill the flowers with a stuffing or chop as desired.
TOP WAYS TO USE ZUCCHINI FLOWERS
- Stuff zucchini flowers with a mix of fresh ricotta, grated parmesan and basil then roast or fry until golden.
- Dip zucchini flowers in a light tempura batter and shallow fry in vegetable oil until golden. Serve with lemon wedges and sea salt.
- Drizzle a tray of zucchini flowers with the baby zucchini attached with olive oil, season and roast with cherry truss tomatoes. Sprinkle with crumbled feta to serve.
- Add chopped zucchini flowers to a risotto or pasta dishes.
- Delicate zucchini flowers with their bright-golden petals bloom are at their best in spring. Although they can be found at your local greengrocer from spring through until autumn.
*As per Sydney Markets