Show off with this beautifully balanced watermelon salad.
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 500g watermelon, seedless
- 1 ½ cups baby spinach, shredded
- ½ telegraph cucumber, quartered and sliced
- 1 fresh red chilli, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fried shallots
- ¾ cup coriander
- In a glass bowl, add the sugar, salt and ½ cup warm water. Mix until the sugar and salt have dissolved then add the vinegar. Add the onion slices and ensure they are submerged in the liquid. Cover and allow to pickle for a minimum of 60 minutes.
- Cut the watermelon into thin triangles and toss in a bowl with the drained pickled onion, baby spinach, cucumber and chilli. Top with fried shallots and fresh coriander leaves to serve.
Takes: 1 hour & 15 mins