A tip to making these fun and fresh spring rolls is to get all the ingredients ready beforehand, prepped, cooked and sliced. Get the kids or family to join in on the fun too so the rolling process is quicker. Vietnamese wrappers come in a packet which will last you a while! They are stored easily so you can make these once a week as part of your meal prep or just something fun to do together as a family or with friends on the weekend. With the warmer days coming up, these are THE best to have for lunch or a light dinner. So delicious and so satisfying!
- 2 x chicken breasts
- 15 x rice paper wrappers (1 packet from Harris Farm contains much more so you can save these for the following time)
- 3 x mangoes (1 ½ mango diced for the dipping sauce, 1 ½ mango sliced finely and cut in half)
- 1 x red onion (finely sliced and cut in half)
- 1 x avocado (finely sliced)
- 1 x lemon (zest grated and juice saved)
- 1 x lime (zest grated and juice saved)
- ¼ tsp of chilli flakes
- 3 x cups of finely sliced lettuce (cos, iceberg, any other type of lettuce will also do fine)
- 1 x large carrot (julienned)
- 1/2 x packet of vermicelli noodles
- herbs (coriander or mint optional)
- coconut oil
- olive oil
- Make the zesty and spiced mango dipping sauce by finely grating the zest of the lime and lemon and placing that zest into a pot. Place 1 ½ of the finely diced into the pot as well as the chilli flakes. Add ¾ cup of water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5-7 more minutes. Turn off the heat, add the juice from 1 lemon and 1 lime then stir through. Use a stick blender to blend the mango mix into a smooth dipping sauce. Set aside until serving.
- Prepare the chicken by slicing the chicken breasts into thin pieces then cook on a hot pan with some coconut oil/olive oil. Cook the chicken slices on each side in a couple of batches then set aside. Once the chicken has cooled slightly, slice the chicken again but into much smaller pieces. Set aside.
- Prepare the rest of the ingredients by dicing them and slicing them finely (see ingredients list above for directions). Place onto a large platter.
- Prepare the vermicelli noodles by bringing preparing a pot of boiling water. Turn the heat off and place the vermicelli noodles in to sit for 10 minutes with a covered lid. Check the noodles after 10 minutes and use a fork to separate them further. Rinse in cold water then place onto the platter with the other ingredients.
- After all the ingredients are prepped, its time to roll. Get a bowl that is wide enough for the rice paper wrappers to fit in. Fill it up with warm water. Place in 1 rice paper wrapper at a time. Once it has become see-through (15 seconds or so) place the soft wrapper onto a flat board or plate. Spread it out evenly.
- There is no specific order in which the ingredients need to go but at the very edge of one side of the wrapper, start by placing just a bit of the lettuce, a few pieces of chicken, mango, carrot, onion, avocado and herbs (optional). The ingredients should take up about 1/3 of the space. Using your hands, hold the edge of the wrapper moving inwards wrap it over the pile of ingredients then tuck in the left and right side and fold the rice paper over into a roll until you get the edge (the edge of the rice paper will naturally stick to the rest of the roll). Set aside and repeat with the rest! You may need to fill up the bowl of warm water several times as the water cools.
- Serve with the zesty mango dipping sauce.
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 15 minutes
Makes: 15 Vietnamese spring rolls.
Recipe and photos by Anastasia Zolotarev. Click here to see her blog.