This makes a great starter, along with some other crudites like segments of fennel, chopped radish, batons of celery and dutch carrots.
Serves 2-3 as a side dish or starter.
- 2 bunches of asparagus, woody ends trimmed
- 10 anchovy fillets
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- To make the anchoiade add the ingredients into a small blender and blitz until you have a smooth paste. Alternatively pound together in a mortar and pestle until smooth. It will keep in the fridge for a week.
- Fill a small saucepan with enough water to come half way up the stems of asparagus. Bring the water to the boil. Once it is boiling add the asparagus and boil for 3 minutes, until the ends are soft and the tips tender. Refresh under cool water.
- Serve the asparagus with the room temperature anchoiade for dipping.