Try Rena Patten’s big and hearty salad - a brilliant healthy dinner for all the family
Roasted Sweet Potato, Spinach and Mushroom Salad
- 1 kg sweet potato
- 1–2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- ¾ cup red quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1½ cups water
- 200g baby spinach leaves
- 250g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- juice of 1–2 lemons
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F) and line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
- Peel and cube sweet potato, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss well and place on the baking tray in a single layer.
- Roast in the oven for 20-30 minutes until potato is tender and browned
- In the meantime, place quinoa in a small saucepan with the water, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes until all the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and cool.
- Place sweet potato, quinoa, spinach, mushroom and onion in a bowl and gently toss together until combined.
- Mix together all dressing ingredients, pour over salad and gently toss. Leave to stand for about 1/2 hour before serving.
Recipe thanks to Rena Pattern author of 'Quinoa for Families'
Rena has more than twenty years experience as a recipe developer, cookbook author and presenter. Whether it’s Quinoa, Kale, Chia, Beetroot or Spinach...Rena will guide you through how to easily prepare the yummiest and best tasting healthy dishes that will truly amaze!