- 100g longans
- ½ punnet blueberries
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1 ½ cup of milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 tablespoon pistachio kernels
- 120g raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- ½ lime
- Slice the vanilla pod in half. Using the sharp tip of your knife, carefully scape out all the vanilla seeds. In a medium size pot, place the rice, milk, sugar and both the vanilla seeds and pod.
- On a medium high heat, bring to the boil then reduce heat to medium. While stirring frequently (to prevent rice sticking to the bottom), cook until the milk has reduced by half, then add the coconut milk and reduce heat to low. Cook for approx. 10 mins while stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, peel and deseed the longans then cut into small wedges. Place in a bowl with the blueberries, half of the molasses and the juice of half a lime. Combine then place in fridge.
- Once the rice has absorbed the liquid (but still runny and sticky), taste to ensure it’s cooked. If uncooked, add a bit more water and keep cooking until al dente. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Using a spoon, divide the rice pudding into 6 glasses. Place in the fridge for approx. 4 hours or until cool. Serve cold with longan and blueberry salsa. Roughly chop the pistachios and sprinkle over then drizzle the remaining molasses on top.
Makes: 6 glasses
Takes: 25 mins plus cooling time