- 600 ml full cream
- 1 ½ gelatine sheets (Titanium brand)
- 1 lemongrass stalk
- ½ papaya
- 1 lime
- 70 g caster sugar
- A few sprigs of mint (optional for garnish)
- Place the cream in a pot on medium high heat. Using a pestle (or something similar), pound the lemongrass until it slightly breaks open. Cut the lemongrass into 5 cm pieces then add to the cream along with the sugar. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium low then simmer for at least 15 mins, remove pot from heat.
- Using a spoon, remove the seeds from the papaya. Peel the skin from papaya then cut into rough chunks. Add to a blender with the juice of one lime and a splash of water. Blitz well until smooth.
- Pour papaya puree into a baking tray lined with baking paper and spread evenly. Place in the freezer until frozen and rock hard.
- Fill a small bowl with water and place gelatine sheets for approx. 3 mins until soft. Squeeze the sheets to remove excess water. Add to the cream and stir in until dissolved.
- Pour the cream through a sieve (to catch lemongrass) into a jug. Divide the cream into 4 glasses then place in the fridge. Let set for at least 8 hours (overnight preferable).
- When ready to serve, remove frozen papaya from the freezer. Using a fork, scrape the frozen papaya until a fluffy granita forms. Remove panna cotta from the fridge and top with granita. Garnish with mint if using.
Makes: 4 glasses
Takes: 30 mins plus setting time