Makes 1 cup / 250 ml of barbecue sauce. Use as a basting sauce for pork ribs or chicken, or put to work on a bacon and egg roll.
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp smoked chipotle chilli (or 1 tsp chilli powder)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2/3 cup / 160 ml ketchup / tomato sauce
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml honey
- 2 tbsp coffee grounds (optional)
- Place the spices in a saucepan over medium heat. Toast for 30 seconds, until they are fragrant. Add the olive oil and garlic clove and take off the heat and swirl for a minute to infuse.
- Add the remaining ingredients and return to the heat. Bring to a simmer and stir well to combine.
- Simmer until the sauce has thickened to the consistency of a custard. Set aside and use as a basting on steaks, chicken, or pork ribs.
Recipe by Tori Haschka.