Warm up your day with this hearty favourite prepared with love by our very own Cathy Harris.
Cathy Harris' Easy French Onion Soup
- 2kg brown onions
- 3 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 litre beef stock
- Gruyere cheese
- Slice brown onions, gently brown in a fry pan with olive oil and butter mixture, saute for at least half an hour or until really soft. (optional, when soft add 3 teaspoons of brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of plain flour for a sweeter thicker soup).
- Add beef stock and bring to boil, add the odd fresh herb for that professional touch - thyme and parsley - I do this early and let it sit
- Before serving - warm soup, slice a baguette into diagonal slices, brown on one side, rub some garlic onto uncooked side, place on top oft he soup in individual bowls (or if making for a big family meal use a heavy casserole dish)
- Coarsely grate Gruyere Cheese to the top of the bread.
- Put under grill till cheese is melting and brown and bubbling on top.
Recipes thanks to Cathy Harris