This is another great brine ferment. My kids get these in their lunchboxes. And I also eat them at my desk.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Fermentation time: 3+ days
Equipment: 1 L (34 fl oz) jar
- 300 g (10 ½ oz) green beans (or enough to fill your jar nice and tightly), topped and tailed, strings removed your favourite flavour combination (optional; see note)
- 1 litre (34 fl oz/4 cups) water
- 2 tablespoons fine salt
- Pack the beans tightly into the jar. Add your favourite flavour combination, if using.
- Make a brine with the water and salt (dissolve the salt into a small amount of hot water first, then add the rest of the water) and pour it into the jar, leaving headroom. Seal the jar.
- This is a fast ferment – it will only need to ferment for 3–5 days at room temperature. It can go longer – just test and refrigerate before it goes soft. Keep in the fridge for up to 8 weeks.
- My favourite flavour combination with beans or carrots is 1-2 garlic cloves; 1 dill stalk or some fennel; and 5 black and red peppercorns.
This is an edited extract from Ferment For Good by Sharon Flynn, published by Hardie Grant Books, RRP $39.99. Now available to purchase in-store at Harris Farm Markets.
Photography: ©Tara Pearce