- 1 cup (150g) plain flour, seasoned with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups (100g) panko breadcrumbs
- 600g skinless whiting fillets
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tsp chopped lemon thyme or thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup (125ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 oranges, segmented
- Small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 small frisee (curly endive)
- 1 cup (180g) nicoise or other small black olives
- 1/2 cup (150g) mayonnaise or store-bought whole-egg mayonnaise
- Sunflower oil, to deep-fry
- Combine 300ml grapeseed or sunflower oil with 300ml olive oil in a jug.
- Whisk 4 egg yolks and 3 tsp Dijon mustard in a food processor.
- With the motor running, slowly add oil, drop by drop at first, until the mixture starts to thicken, then pour in a steady stream until thick and emulsified.
Add 1 tbs water and the juice of ½ lemon, then season with sea salt and ground white pepper. Makes 2 cups.
Fish & Salad:
- Place flour, egg and breadcrumbs in three separate bowls. Dust fish first in flour, then dip in egg, then coat in crumbs. Transfer to a plate and refrigerate until needed.
- To make dressing, combine lemon juice, vinegar, mustard and thyme in a bowl, then gradually whisk in olive oil. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Place orange, fennel, frisee and olives in a bowl and toss to combine. Set aside.
- Place mayonnaise in a small bowl and loosen to a drizzling consistency with a little warm water. Set aside.
- Half-fill a deep-fryer or large saucepan with sunflower oil and heat to 190°C (a cube of bread will turn golden in 30 seconds when the oil is hot enough). Working in batches, gently lower fish into oil and deep-fry for 2-3 minutes until golden.
- Add dressing to salad mixture and toss to combine. Serve immediately with fish and mayonnaise for drizzling. Serves 4.
From the book delicious. Sizzle by Valli Little. Reproduced with the permission of delicious magazine and ABC Books.