This warm toasted salad idea using Teff grain is absolutely bursting with flavour, give it a go!
- 1/2 cup brown teff grain
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 parsnips
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 bunch kale
- 100g feta cheese
- Small handful of fresh dill
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Chop the sweet potato and parsnip into small cubes, place onto the prepared tray, sprinkle over the garlic powder and chilli powder, drizzle over some olive oil and toss everything together so that the vegetables are evenly coated. Spread the vegetables out on the tray in one layer and bake in the preheated oven for 35 – 40 minutes or until browned.
- While the vegetables are baking, toast the brown teff grain in a fry pan over a medium-low heat until it starts to make popping noises. Add the water and a pinch of sea salt to the pan, bring to the boil and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer, with the pan uncovered and stirring regularly, until all of the water has been absorbed. Once the water has been absorbed, fluff teff with a fork and tip onto a plate and set aside.
- Remove the stalks from the kale and roughly chop the leaves. Tip the leaves into the frypan used for the teff and gently toss the leaves over a low heat to warm them through. Take the pan off the heat and dress the kale with a good drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of sea salt.
- To serve, tip the roasted vegetables, teff and kale into a serving bowl and toss to combine. Crumble over the feta and sprinkle with fresh dill.
Recipe by Teff Tribe.