Prep & Time: 35 mins
Makes: 15 biscuits, depending on size
- 150g (¾ cup) sugar
- 125g (1 cup) plain flour (note 1 for gluten free)
- 120g (1 cup) rolled oats
- 80g (1 cup) desiccated coconut, unsweetened
- 150g (⅔ cup) vegan block butter (note 2)
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2-4 tablespoons water, as needed
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Mix the flour, oats, coconut and sugar in a large bowl until combined.
- Add the butter and golden syrup to a small saucepan over low heat. Mix until melted. Add the baking soda and mix again. The mixture may bubble up.
- Pour the butter mixture over the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. The dough should look a little crumbly but can be rolled without falling apart. If your dough is too dry, add 1 tablespoon of water at a time and mix until pliable.
- Roll heaped tablespoons of the dough into balls and flatten into biscuit shapes. Arrange the biscuits on your baking trays about 3-5 cm apart.
- Bake in the biscuits for around 12 minutes for soft and chewy biscuits or 15 minutes for crunchier biscuits. The biscuits should be golden brown in colour. When you take them out of the oven, they will continue baking!
- Enjoy the biscuits warm or at room temperature. For extra crunchy biscuits, enjoy the biscuits chilled from the fridge or freezer!
You may use the same amount of gluten-free plain flour. However, I’d recommend adding an extra tablespoon (10g) of gluten-free flour as it’s less absorbent than plain flour.
This recipe works with vegan spreadable margarine and coconut oil.