This classic Tuscan soup is both filling and comforting - not to mention delicious! It's perfect for the whole family and also a great way to use up that old loaf of bread.
Tomato and Bread Soup
Ingredients1 kg of ripe tomatoes - blanched and diced
3 golden shallots - sliced
3 cloves of garlic - sliced
10 basil leaves
2 handfuls of breadcrumbs (from a loaf of stale bread)
1 orange for zest
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and pepper.
1 cup of chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 190C.
- Blanch tomatoes by simply dropping in boiling water wait till skin blisters (1-2 mins) then chill in cold water - skins should then be easy to remove.
- In a pan that is suitable for the oven fry shallot and garlic in a little Extra Virgin Olive Oil, salt and pepper.
- When caramelized add tomatoes and roast in oven for 30 - 45 mins or until tomatoes have collapsed.
- Add stock and breadcrumbs, return pan to stove top and simmer until soup thickens. If it becomes too thick add a little water to loosen.
- Season to taste.
- In serving bowl add 1 swipe of orange zest over fine grater (microplane is best)
- Add Extra Virgin Olive Oil and lots of Parmesan
Recipe thanks to Alex Kearns,Executive Chef, Glebe Point Diner