- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 chopped brown onion
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 700g beef mince
- 500-700g Tomato pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 250g lasagne pasta sheets
- 2 cups thickened cream
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Add mince. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up mince, for 8 minutes or until browned.
- Add sauce, wine and sugar. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, for 40 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a 7cm-deep, 25cm (base) square baking dish. Spoon 1/2 cup mince mixture over base of dish. Arrange one quarter of pasta sheets over meat mixture, breaking sheets to fit.
- Spoon one-third of the remaining mince mixture over pasta. Drizzle with one-quarter of the cream. Sprinkle with one-quarter of the cheddar cheese.
- Repeat layers twice.
- Top with remaining pasta sheets, cream and cheddar cheese. Sprinkle with parmesan.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until pasta is tender and cheese golden.