A simple, sweet and savoury dish bound to become a favourite homemade brekky. The standouts here are the fresh goats chevre, the crunchy sweet maple bacon and the mushrooms that suck up all the butter from the pan. De-lish.
- Serves 2
- 3 eggs
- 6 pieces of square shaped sliced bread
- ¾ cup milk
- 50g butter
- ¼ cup maple syrup and extra for serving
- 6-8 slices of streaky bacon
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 cups of Swiss brown mushrooms (whole, lightly cleaned)
- 1 small bunch of watercress (cleaned and the ends cuts off)
- ¾ cup goats chevre
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees to roast the bacon. Prepare a baking tray with baking paper. Place the bacon onto the baking paper making sure each piece is flat facing. Pour half the maple syrup over the bacon. Use a brush to cover the surfaces evenly. Flip the bacon onto the other side and pour the other half of maple syrup out onto the surface and brush. Place into the oven for 20 minutes. Sprinkle the thyme on once you remove the bacon from the oven.
- Prepare the mushrooms by cleaning them with a damp tissue. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Make the French toast batter by mixing the eggs with milk, and a sprinkle of salt in a bowl. Dip the bread in the batter coating both sides then set aside.
- Meanwhile prepare the butter to cook the toast on. On a medium heat add half of the butter to the pan and allow it to become frothy. Once it starts turning slightly golden and you can smell a nutty aroma then you can add the toast. Cook it on each side until its golden brown. Cook the toast in two batches adding more butter about halfway through repeating the same process.
- While the toast is cooking prepare the watercress and chevre.
- Once the toast is prepared set it aside. Using the same pan where you cooked the toast, add the mushrooms to cook for about 3 -4 minutes. They will absorb the delicious flavours from the pan.
- Serve on plates by placing 3 pieces of French toast on each plate, cut in half. Break up some of the bacon into smaller pieces and sprinkle it around the plate. Place 2 or so whole pieces of candied bacon on the side. Top with fresh watercress, the buttery mushrooms and the goats chevre. Pour some more maple syrup on top for extra sweetness!