These pickled green stems add bite and piquancy to salads, sandwiches and flat breads.
Makes 1 x 500ml jar of pickled greens.
- 100g of kale, Tuscan kale, English spinach, choy sum, silverbeet stems or rainbow chard stems
- 1 cup/ 250 ml rice wine vinegar
- ½ cup/ 125 ml water
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 strip of orange zest
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- Combine the vinegar, water, sugar and aromatics in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Place the green stems in a clean 500ml capacity jar.
- Pour over the boiling pickling liquid and spices and add the orange zest.
- Seal the jar tightly and place in the fridge. Give it a day or so for the flavours to marry. It will keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks.