Bring the taste of Italy to your family kitchen. Add a bit of fun for the kids by making your own base with this easy homemade pizza recipe. Mamma Mia.
Homemade Pizza with Italian Tomato Sauce
Homemade Pizza Base
- 7g sachet dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon Harris Farm honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups Caputo Chefs Flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Combine 3/4 cup warm water, yeast, sugar or honey and salt in a jug.
- Whisk with a fork to dissolve. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Set aside in a warm place for 5 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface.
- Sift flour into a bowl. Add yeast mixture and oil. Mix to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 10 minutes or until elastic.
- Place mixture in a lightly greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Stand in a warm place for 25 to 30 minutes or until dough has doubled in size.
- Use your fist to punch dough down. Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
- With a rolling pin roll out pizza dough to your desired shape ensuring about a 5mm thickness to the base and place on tray or pizza stone
- Try our Italian tomato sauce for the perfect sauce for your pizza creation.
- Top with your favourite toppings like prosciutto, chicken, meatballs, salami, basil, cherry tomatoes
- Sprinkle over shredded mozzarella then place in oven at 220C for up to 15mins (cheese should be completely melted & golden brown)
Italian Tomato Sauce
- 1kg gourmet tomatoes
- 40mL (2 tablespoons) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- Blanch tomatoes simply score a cross into the base of each tomato. Place in a large bowl, pour over enough boiling water to cover and set aside for 1 minute. Drain. Then Peel the skin back from each tomato.
- Cut each tomato in half, discard the tomato liquid and seeds and coarsely chop the flesh.
- Heat the oil in a large pan, over low heat. Add the onion and fry for 5 minutes until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute,
- Add the chopped tomatoes & tomato paste. Increase the heat to high and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season sauce with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool slightly,
- Blend sauce to a smooth consistency. Stir in the chopped basil leaves.
- Cool completely then spread about 1 cup of sauce over your pizza base
- Sauce can be refrigerated for up to five days.