Make these pillowy soft Gnudi (ricotta gnocchi) in a fraction of the time by using breadcrumbs! Paired with a simple yet rich tomato sugo and you’ve got yourself a beautiful Italian dish in less than 45 minutes. P.S. No need for any flour or semolina so a great recipe if you want to keep your kitchen clean!
- 150g ricotta (try to use a denser/less moist ricotta)
- 30g Upcycled Harris Farm wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 10g fresh basil leaves (chopped)
- 5g fresh thyme leaves (chopped)
- 1 egg
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 30ml olive oil
- 4 large tomatoes (roughly chopped or crushed with hands)
- 1 small brown onion (diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (diced)
- 1 basil stalk
- Basil leaves for garnish
1) For the sugo, heat the olive oil in a steel saucepan over medium heat.
2) Add the onion with a pinch of salt and cook on low for about 5 minutes.
3) Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes.
4) Add the tomatoes and cook for about 10 minutes until the tomatoes have broken down further.
5) Add the basil stalk, cover with a lid and cook on low for a further 10 minutes.
6) Take the lid off and give the sauce a quick stir to ensure nothing is catching on the bottom of the pan. Cook uncovered for another 10-20 minutes or until the sauce has thickened up. Keep the sauce on a low simmer while you prep and cook your gnudi.
7) For the breadcrumb gnudi, combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix until combined.
8) Using wet hands, scoop a heaped teaspoon amount of the ricotta mixture and roll into a ball (each ball should weigh about 10g-12g). Place onto a sheet of baking paper while you roll out all the gnudi.
9) Bring a pot of salted water to the boil, and drop each ricotta ball into the water and simmer for bout 2 minutes (the gnudi should rise to the top at the end of the cooking time). Transfer the gnudi with a slotted spoon into the pan with the sauce.
10) Gently toss the gnudi in the tomato sugo. Serve the gnudi on a bed of sugo and garnish with basil leaves. Eat immediately!
This recipe was created by Dan Dumbrell, check out Dan's instagram here.