For that perfect tea time treat, serve up a freshly cooked muffin with the classic combination of apple and sweet spice.
Apple and Cinnamon Muffins
- 2 Jonathan apples, quartered, cored
- 300g (2 cups) self-raising flour, sifted
- 110g (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 35g (1/3 cup) walnut halves, finely chopped
- 250ml (1 cup) buttermilk
- 80ml (1/3 cup) canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, extra
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line twelve 80ml (1/3-cup) capacity muffin pans with paper cases.
- Thinly slice 2 apple quarters and reserve. Chop the remaining apple.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon in a bowl. Stir in the walnut and make a well in the centre.
- Combine buttermilk, oil and eggs in a bowl. Add buttermilk mixture and chopped apple to the well. Stir until just combined. divide among pans. top with reserved apple.
- Combine the remaining cinnamon and extra sugar and sprinkle over the muffins.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden.
- Set aside in pan for 5 minutes to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.