- 1 packet Next Gen Plant-Based Mince (in-stores now!)
- 250g penne pasta
- 1 celery stem
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 carrot
- 1 fennel
- 1 red onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 passata bottle (approx. 700g)
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 small bunch of fresh basil
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to the boil. Add the penne pasta and cook for 8 minutes or per pasta packet directions. Remove the pasta from the water and strain well, set aside.
- Meanwhile, finely dice the celery, the carrot and the garlic. Slice the red onion into large wedges, slice the fennel into medium sized wedges.
- Heat a large pot and add a drizzle of olive oil. Add the celery, carrot and garlic and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the red onion and the fennel and cook for an extra 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the bay leaf, the oregano, the red wine vinegar and the tomato passata. Fill the empty bottle of passata with 1 and ½ cups of water, close the lid and swirl around, pour this mixture into the pot with the rest of the ingredients. Add salt and pepper and mix through well. Cook the mixture on a medium high heat for 5 minutes. Taste and season with extra salt and pepper.
- Add the cooked pasta into the mix and stir through to combine. Transfer the vegetarian bolognaise into a large baking bowl or baking tray with high enough edges. Drizzle with olive oil and place into the oven. Cook for 20-25 minutes. Serve with fresh basil on top.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Recipe and photos by Anastasia Zolotarev. Click here to see her blog.