Preparation/cooking time: 3.5 hours
1 x 1kg Oyster blade
1 tbsp Oil
½ Onion, peeled and diced
1 stick Celery, diced
1 med size Carrot, peeled and diced
150 ml Red wine
1 can Crushed tomatoes
400ml Beef stock
3 sprig Thyme
2 Bay leaves
Salt and pepper
Creamed kale and gruyere gratin
1 b Kale, discard stems, leaves coarsely chopped
2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped or grated
300 ml Cream
80g Gruyere cheese
¼ tsp Ground nutmeg
Salt and pepper
1. Pre heat oven to 160c.
2. Heat oil in a heavy bottom oven proof pot, season oyster blade with salt and pepper add to pan and sear on all sides until caramelised and golden than remove beef and set aside.
3. Add onion, celery, carrot to pan and gently fry for 1-2 minutes while stirring.
4. Add red wine and simmer for 2 minutes then add tomatoes, stock, thyme, bay leaves a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper, stir well before returning the beef, cover and cook in the oven for about 2-2 and a half hours or until well cooked and the meat is tender.
5. While beef is in the oven, heat a saucepan on the stove top to medium heat, add butter and garlic stir until fragrant, add kale and gently sauté while stirring for 2-3 minutes.
6. Add cream, bring to a gentle boil until slightly thickened and kale is cooked, add half the gruyere, stir until combined and cheese is melted.
7. Pour mix into a shallow baking dish, sprinkle with remaining cheese and set aside until beef is ready then bake the kale in the oven until golden.
8. Remove beef pot from oven and place onto the stove top.
9. Gently remove beef onto a plate to rest, bring sauce to a boil and reduce to desired consistence while stirring occasionally, check and adjust seasoning if necessary.
10. Slice the oyster blade, place onto a plate, top with sauce and serve with kale gratin.
Tips: Sauce can be strained for a smoother consistency. Serve with roasted cherry tomatoes