Feeling the cold? Turn up the comfort factor with a classic - delicious roast chicken with thyme. The ultimate crowd pleaser
Classic Roast Chicken with Thyme
- 1 whole chicken - free range or organic
- 1 bunch of thyme
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 220c.
- Remove chicken from plastic and pat dry all over including cavity with paper towel.
- Remove wing tips and parsons nose.
- Rub chicken all over with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper and stuff most of the thyme into the cavity, reserving 3 sprigs to finish.
- In a pan that can be transferred to the oven colour each side and the breast side of the chook. Placing the bird on its backside, place into oven for 35 mins. Sprinkle reserved thyme leaves over chook and return to oven for 3 mins.
- Test to see if the chook is cooked by piecing the flesh to the bone at the leg. The meat should be darker than breast meat but not bloody or translucent.
- Allow to rest for 15 mins before eating.
Recipes thanks to Alex Kearns, Executive Chef, Glebe Point Diner