These waffles are spectacularly crispy thanks to the meringue folded through the batter. They are also great to freeze and pop into your toaster for breakfasts during the week. If mum is a big chocolate lover, fold through 1 cup chocolate chips into the batter. Note - you'll need a waffle iron for this recipe.
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 2 eggs, separated
- ½ cup caster sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 and ½ cup plain flour
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or seeds from 1 vanilla pod
- Place egg whites into a stand mixer and beat with the whisk attachment on high for 2-3 minutes until foamy and beginning to thicken up. If you don’t have a stand mixer, use an electric beater until you reach a foamy consistency where it starts to thicken.
- Gradually add sugar whilst beating for a further 3 minutes until you have a soft, glossy meringue. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine mashed bananas, egg yolks and olive oil. Add vanilla and milk. Add flour and combine well. Add meringue and carefully fold through batter until combined. Place ½ cup of mixture into a waffle iron and cook until golden. Keep warm in a low oven until ready to serve topped with banana, raspberries, chocolate and vanilla yoghurt.
Recipe by Naturally Nutritious.