These greens are the perfect complement to any Asian dishes with rice or to tumble into Buddha bowls and grain salads. They also pair well with a simple piece of grilled fish. Shiro miso or white miso will have the sweetest flavour.
Serves 2 as a side dish, or 1 as a main.
- 200g assorted roughly chopped greens (English spinach, Tuscan kale, chicory, or finely sliced zucchini)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- 1 cup/ 250 ml stock, or miso soup, made from 1 tbsp miso paste and boiling water
- Wash the greens and remove tough stems. Cut or break greens into 2-inch lengths. Finely slice or crush one of the garlic cloves.
- Heat a non stick pan over high heat; reduce heat to medium-high, add the oil and sauté the garlic for 30 seconds. Add the greens. Use a fork to stab the other garlic clove and use that to stir and sauté the greens for 1 minute.
- Pour in the hot stock or miso and cook over medium heat, stirring with the garlic-fork for 2-3 minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the greens are soft. Taste and adjust seasoning with extra salt or soy sauce if required.