Prep & Cook time: 1 hour + resting time
Serves: 12 serves
- 375g plain flour
- 200g sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 480g mango puree (about 3-4 mangoes)
- 165g plant-based milk
- 150g light-tasting oil e.g. sunflower
- 1 tbsp apple cider or white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
Cream cheese buttercream
- 300g icing sugar, or as needed
- 120g vegan cream cheese
- 115g vegan butter
- 30g corn flour
- 60g solid coconut oil, melted (optional, use refined coconut oil for no coconut taste)
- 1-2 mangoes, sliced or diced
- Fresh mint (optional)
- Freeze dried raspberries (optional)
To make the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line or grease 2 x 20cm round cake tins.
- Add all the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix until there are no lumps. Add all the wet ingredients to the bowl and mix until there are no more pockets of flour.
- Pour the batter into the 2 cake tins and bake for 25-30 minutes. The cakes are ready when a skewer can be inserted in the middle and it comes out clean. Let the cakes cool in the cake tin for 10 minutes then cool on a wire rack.
To make the buttercream:
- Add the icing sugar, vegan cream cheese and butter to a bowl. Cream until combined and smooth. Add more icing sugar and/or the coconut oil for a firmer frosting (cream cheese buttercream is normally quite soft).
- Chill the buttercream until needed.
To assemble the cake
- When the cakes have completely cooled, slice the dome off one of the cakes. Place that cake on a serving plate.
- If your buttercream has been chilled, give it a few stirs to make sure it’s smooth. Spread or pipe around 1 cup of buttercream on the cake and place the remaining cake on top.
- Spread or pipe the remaining buttercream on top and decorate with the remaining mangoes.
- Store in an airtight container until serving.