Prep time: 30 mins
For the crust
2 cups vegan-friendly plain sweet cookies
⅓ cup vegan butter or coconut oil, melted
For the caramel filling
2 cups dark brown or coconut sugar
1 cup canned coconut cream, thick part only
¼ cup corn flour
2 tbsp vegan butter (or coconut oil with a generous pinch of salt)
1 can canned whipping coconut cream (I used this one).
3 medium-size bananas, sliced
2 tbsp vegan-friendly chocolate, optional
To make the crust:
- Add the cookies to a food processor and pulse until fine crumbs. Add the melted butter and pulse until combined. Firmly press the mixture into the bottom of a 20 greased pie dish. Set aside.
To make the filling:
- Add all ingredients to a medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Simmer the mixture for 10 minutes and set aside to thicken.*
- When the caramel has cooled down a little, pour it into the pie crust and chill in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
- When the caramel is slightly firm to the touch, start to assemble the rest of the pie.
- Add the coconut cream to a large bowl and whisk until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- Layer the bananas on top of the caramel in the pie. Spoon the coconut cream on top. Use a grater to shave some chocolate on top.
- Serve the pie immediately or store in the fridge until needed. Leftovers can be kept in the fridge for up to 2 days.
* If the caramel is heated too high, it may separate but it's easily fixed! Allow it to cool down then mix the oil back into the mixture.