Take these steps to simplify the Turkey roasting process and serve up the perfect Christmas.
How To Roast A Turkey
- Remove turkey from the fridge about 1 hour before roasting.
- Unwrap and remove giblets.
- Pre-heat the oven to 160-190°C
- Loosen the skin over the breast meat & thigh & stuff chopped herbs under the skin with your fingers, plus put whole herb sprigs inside the cavity for extra flavour.
- Tuck the wing tips under the back of the turkey and tie legs together.
- Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Pour white wine or chicken broth into the bottom of the pan.
- Brush the turkey with melted butter - this helps with browning and adds flavour.
- For crunchy skin, baste once only at the start of the roasting process. Later basting may lead to soft skin.
- Use a meat thermometer to check your turkey is perfectly cooked. Test the thickest part of the thigh - when it reaches 74°C it’s done.
- Cover the cooked turkey loosely with foil and rest for 30 minutes before carving. This allows the juices to redistribute through the meat.
Buying a Turkey
Size matters. Allow at least 350g per person plus an extra 200g per person if you want leftovers.
Turkey Cooking Times
- 3.5kg - 5kg (size 25) 1 to 2 hours
- 4.5kg (size 45) 3 to 3 1/2 hours
- 6.75kg (size 67) 4 to 5 hours
- 9kg (size 90) 6 to 6 hours