- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 cup (125ml) olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon, plus extra lemon wedges to serve
- 8 skinless chicken thigh fillets
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups picked watercress
- Seeds of 1/2 pomegranate
- 1/2 tsp sumac
- 4 warm flatbreads, quartered, to serve
- 350g tub good-quality hummus
- Combine ginger, mixed spice, turmeric, cumin, garlic, 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil and half the lemon juice in a large bowl.
- Add chicken, turning to coat well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Soak onion in a bowl of cold salted water for 15 minutes. Drain, then rinse and pat dry with paper towel.
- Combine onion, watercress and pomegranate seeds in a bowl, then set aside.
- Heat a chargrill or frypan over medium-high heat. Drain chicken, then cook for 4-5 minutes each side until golden and cooked.
- Toss salad with sumac, 2 tbs olive oil and remaining lemon juice.
- Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Divide flatbreads among 4 plates and top with hummus, chicken and salad. Drizzle with remaining 1 tbs olive oil and serve with extra lemon wedges. Serves 4.
From the book delicious. Sizzle by Valli Little. Reproduced with the permission of delicious magazine and ABC Books.