Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serves: 4 - 6
- 1 Tbsp coconut or vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 eschalots, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup tom yum paste
- 3cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, finely chopped
- 200gm button mushrooms, sliced
- 6 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 stalk lemongrass, white base finely chopped (cut remaining stalk into10cm lengths)
- 1L chicken stock
- 1L water
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1½cups (375ml) coconut milk
- 400gm deveined, peeled green prawns
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- Lime wedges and fresh coriander leaves, to serve
- Heat oil in a large pot over a low–medium heat. Add garlic and eschalots, cook for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in tom yum paste and ginger. Cook, stirring for 2–3 minutes or until paste smells fragrant.
- Add mushrooms, kaffir leaves, lemongrass, stock, water, fish sauce, and sugar. Bring to boil. Gently boil for 10 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk and prawns and bring to the boil. Gently boil for 2 minutes or until prawns are cooked through. Remove from heat. Discard kaffir leaves and lemongrass stalks. Stir in lime juice.
- Serve soup with lime wedges and coriander leaves.
Recipe by Market Magazine