This delicious plant driven dish has everything a good salad should nourishing ingredients, something crisp, fresh, creamy & fragrant with a sweet n sour dressing that really sets things off.
All the components can be prepared in advance and assembled at the last minute. Try it with cauliflower or roast pumpkin instead of the carrots for a variation.
- 2 bunches Dutch baby carrots, washed well
- 1/2 bunch silverbeet leaves
- 2 tbsp harissa paste
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 3 pieces Lebanese bread
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp za’atar
- 2 cups yoghurt
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup picked basil leaves
- Juice 1 lemon
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained, rinsed well
- 1 cup mint, picked
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Juice 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup dukkah
- Preheat an oven 190°C.
- Trim the washed carrots, leaving about 1cm of stalk. Reserve about 1 cup of washed carrot tops.
- Toss the carrots in a bowl with the harissa and half the olive oil. Season and scatter onto a roasting tray lined with baking paper.
- Roast for 20 minutes. Remove and set aside. Reduce the oven heat to 150°C.
- Toss the silverbeet leaves in the remaining oil and season lightly. Preheat a grill or frying pan to high heat.
- Cook the silverbeet leaves until wilted and a little charred. Roughly chop and set aside.
- Cut the Lebanese bread into larger wedges, brush with the olive oil and dust with the za’atar. Bake on tray for 8 minutes, until crisp.
- In a blender, place the carrot tops, basil, garlic, lemon juice and 1/4 of the yoghurt. Blend to a smooth puree then fold through the rest of the yoghurt and season with salt and pepper. Dress with the pomegranate molasses, olive oil and juice of 1 lemon.
- In a mixing bowl, place the carrots, silverbeet, chickpeas and mint. Dress with the pomegranate molasses, olive oil and lemon juice. Season well with salt and black pepper.
- Spoon some carrot top yoghurt onto a serving plate or individual plates. Layer the dish with large crushed pieces of the crisp bread, some salad, some more yoghurt reserving some crisp breads to serve alongside for extra crunch.