The capsicums are cooked on the stove top flame creating a smokey and sweet flavor which taste delicious with some toasted pistachios, some warm heat from the chili flakes, and citrus flavours from the lemon. This Sicilian inspired salad is beautiful to have on the side with some grilled chicken or lamb, or even as an appetizer if you are having a long Sunday lunch feast!
- 800g or 4 large red capsicums
- 400g or 2 large yellow capsicums
- 200g or 2 long and narrow red capsicums / red bull horn chillies (kept fresh)
- 1 cup of pistachios
- 1 large clove of garlic (thinly sliced)
- 1 bunch of fresh basil (half chopped and half kept whole)
- 1 tsp of dry chili flakes (increase amount if you like it extra chili)
- 1 lemon for zest and juice
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- To prepare the capsicums, using some long tongs place the capsicums on to your stove top with a medium strength flame. Change sides and continue to move the capsicums around until the skin is nearly all black.
- Set aside in a plate and allow to cool before cleaning them.
- Prepare the long red capsicums by slicing lengthways in half then slice again into strips. Keep these fresh to contrast with the cooked capsicums.
- Wearing some gloves, remove the charcoal skin from the burnt capsicums and throw it away, its okay to leave some small patches for an extra smokey flavor. Quickly rinse the capsicums and the inside too, removing the seeds and white segments. Do not over wash these capsicums, as you want the oils to remain for extra flavor.
- Meanwhile prepare a pan to lightly toast the pistachios for a few minutes.
- Slice the peeled capsicum lengthways and place into a bowl.
- Add the sliced garlic, toasted pistachios, chili flakes, lemon zest and juice, olive oil, fresh long red capsicums, chopped basil, salt, pepper and mix well.
- Place onto a serving plate and top with extra fresh basil and enjoy as a side salad or an appetizer. Enjoy!