A delicious classic and a wonderful way to use the Imperfect Picks tomatoes. Try mix it up by using a variety of the tomatoes available and serve with some warm grilled bread with your favourite cheese. We love the Provolone Piccante.
- 1.5 kg Imperfect picks tomatoes
- 500g Imperfect Picks egg tomatoes
- 1 brown onion (quartered)
- 1 whole bulb of garlic (each garlic clove peeled and squashed)
- 1 long red chilli (sliced in half)
- 1 whole bunch of fresh basil
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 250g of provolone
- 1 x loaf of bread
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Prep the tomatoes buy slicing the tomatoes in half and remove the green stem. Place the tomato halves into one large baking tray.
- Add the onion, garlic cloves, red chilli, a generous amount of olive oil and seasoning into the tray with the tomatoes and then place into the oven to roast for a minimum of 45 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven and transfer all the ingredients into a large pot. Add enough water to fill up 3/4 of the pot and then place onto a high heat, cover with a lid and bring to the boil (see note below).
- Once the mixture is boiling, turn off the heat and add the fresh basil. Use either a stick blender to process until smooth or transfer to a food processor. Once the soup is smooth check for salt and adjust any seasonings.
- Meanwhile, slice the bread and top with sliced provolone cheese and transfer onto a baking tray. Place into the oven or a grill until the cheese has melted.
- Serve the soup with the melted provolone grilled bread.
- If you prefer a smoother tomato soup, peel the skin from the roasted tomato halves and discard the skin prior to placing into the large pot.
Prep time: 10 minutes.
Cook time: 50 minutes.