Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 1 hour
- 1.2 kg approx. Beef Rump Cap
- 5 Sprigs Thyme
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1 Imperfect Eggplant
- 3 Imperfect Tomatoes
- 1/3 Cup Pitted Black Olives
- 1 ½ Tbsp Capers
- ½ Bunch Basil
- 1/3 Cup Olive oil + more for cooking
- 1 Bunch English Spinach
- 1 Tbsp Caramelised Balsamic Vinegar
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Pat dry the beef and score the fat.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring a large frying pan to high heat. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Place the beef fat down and sear for 2mins, then turn and sear for further 2mins. Then sear the sides for another 2 mins. Pick and sprinkle the Thyme leaves on top of the beef and place in the oven. Cook for approx. 45 mins.
- Meanwhile, slice the eggplant lengthways into 1cm thick.
- In a separate frying pan, generously drizzle olive oil, once hot, place 2-3 eggplant slices on the pan and cook for 2-3 mins on each side until golden brown and soft. Repeat with the rest of the eggplant and set aside.
- Cut the tomatoes and the eggplant into small dice and place into a bowl. Roughly chop the olives and the capers and add to the bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Toss through and set aside.
- Place the basil and 1 small garlic clove in a blender, add the 1/3 of a cup of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and blend for approx. 1 min until vibrant green.
- Remove beef from the oven once ready and let it rest for at least 15mins.
- Remove the bottom stems of the spinach and wash the leaves.