Prep time: 1hr + cooling time
Cooking time: 10mins
Makes approx. 30 croquettes
- 1 chorizo
- 500g Sebago potatoes
- 100g butter
- 200ml cream
- 150g Manchego cheese
- 2 cups sourdough breadcrumbs or any other
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup plain flour
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil
- 150g cream cheese
- ¼ bunch chives
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1lt deep frying oil
- Wash and peel the potatoes, cut them into 5cm pieces, and place in a pot with salted water, just enough to cover them. Bring to the boil and cook for approx. 25-30mins until soft.
- Meanwhile, dice the chorizo into small ½ cm cubes. Using a small frying pan, cook the chorizo for 5mins, on medium-high heat, until crispy and golden. Set aside.
- Place the cream cheese in a bowl, peel and crush the garlic and add to the bowl. Add 3 Tbsp of milk or cream, season with salt and pepper, and mix well using a whisk. Finely chop the chives and add ½ of it to the cream cheese and save the rest for garnishing.
- Once the potatoes are soft and cooked, drain well. In the same pot, add the butter and the cream and heat up without bringing to a boil. Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes together with the butter and cream. Once the mash is smooth and creamy, add the chorizo with the oils, to the mash, then grate ¾ of the Manchego cheese and mix through.
- Place the mash onto a flat tray, evenly spread out, and into the fridge to cool for at least 2hrs or overnight. Meanwhile, place the eggs into a bowl and mix, place the flour into another bowl and the breadcrumbs into another bowl.
- Once the mashed potato is cold, using a tablespoon or an ice cream scoop, portion the mash into balls approx. 30g in size. Roll them into a cylinder shape. It’s time to crumb the croquettes; cover with the flour and shake off the excess, then into the egg mixture and into the breadcrumbs.
- Place the deep-frying oil into a medium-size pot or a deep fryer, heat up to medium-high heat, and once hot place the croquettes in, 4 at a time. Deep fry for about 30 to 40 seconds until crispy and golden brown, serve warm with garlic cream cheese.