Using pears from our Imperfect Picks range, try out this cinnamon pancake breakfast recipe. Now this is seriously good way to start off the day!
- ½ medium imperfect pear (skin on), diced
- 2 cups water
- 1 ¼ cups buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 medium eggs (1 whole egg and 1 egg separated into yolk and egg white)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 ¼ cups reduced fat milk
- Olive or coconut oil spray
- Coconut yoghurt to serve (optional)
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium imperfect pear, cubed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
To make the pancakes:
- Place water and diced pear in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Leave to cook for 10 minutes or until pear is tender then remove from the boil and puree.
- Meanwhile, sift the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, add 1 whole egg, 1 egg yolk, milk, vanilla extract and cinnamon and whisk together.
- Create a well in the flour mixture and pour in the egg mix and pear puree, using an electric beater or whisker to combine. (Note: pear puree will make mixture slightly lumpy).
- In a separate bowl, whisk the remaining egg white with an electric beating until soft white peaks form. Fold this mixture gently into the pancake mixture.
- Over medium heat, lightly spray a non-stick fry pan with olive oil. Spoon ¼ cup pancake mixture onto the pan, cooking for approx 2 minutes on each side (or until golden).
- Serve up with coconut yoghurt, cooked pears (see instructions below) and a sprinkle of cinnamon and enjoy!
To cook the pears:
- Heat the butter over medium heat and add diced pears.
- Add the cinnamon and sugar and stir frequently for 3-5 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Prep time: 10 mins.
Cooking time: 20 mins.
Recipe and photos by The Biting Truth.