A delicious mouth watering dish, beef brisket is perfect cooked low & slow in this tasty onion braise.
Onion Braised Beef Brisket
- 1 x Brisket leaving fat on (approx. 800g)
- 1 heaped tbsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 to 3 onions
- 2 tbsps tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 to 3 carrots
- 4 Sebago potatoes
- 300g Jap pumpkin
- 3 parsnips
- 1 bunch dutch carrots
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Season the brisket on both sides with salt and pepper. Lightly dust with the flour, then shake and turn to coat evenly.
- Cover a roasting pan or cast iron pot with oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add the brisket to the pan and sear on both sides until surface appears crusty brown (approx. 5 to 7 mins per side).
- Transfer the brisket to a platter, add 3 tbsps olive oil and the onions to the pot and stir constantly with a wooden spoon. Cook until onions are caramelised, about 15 mins.
- Turn off the heat and place the brisket, fatty side up, plus any accumulated juices on top of the onions. Spread the tomato paste evenly over the brisket, then scatter the garlic and carrots around the edges of the pot. Cover the pot very tightly with aluminium foil or a lid, then transfer to the oven and cook for 1 ½ hrs).
- Transfer brisket to a cutting board and, using a very sharp knife, slice the meat across the grain into ½ cm slices.
- Return the slices to the pot. Check the seasonings and correct if necessary. If the sauce appears dry, add 2 to 3 tsps of water to the pot. Cover pot tightly and return to the oven.
- Lower heat to 160°C and cook brisket until it is fork-tender, 2 ½ hrs, or longer if necessary. Check once or twice during cooking to make sure liquid is not bubbling away. If it is, add a few more tsps of water - but no more. Each time you check, spoon liquid on top of the roast so that it drips down between the slices.
- Heat oven to 180°C. Prepare vegetables by chopping into small pieces. Combine potato with 2 tsp olive oil on a large roasting tray and roast for 30 mins. Combine pumpkin with remaining oil and roast for 15 mins, then place parsnips on another lined tray season with salt, pepper and garlic to taste, roast for 30-45 mins. All vegetables should be tender and golden. Add rosemary at final 5 mins.
- Serve beef brisket with roast potato, pumpkin & parsnips.