It's school holidays and what kid doesn't love a good meatball in tomato sauce. Whip up this quick and easy meal for the family dinner table.
Meatballs in tomato sauce
- 1kg mince (pork, veal, lamb or beef)
- 2 cups of stale bread crumbs - soaked in water for 5 minutes then squeeze out
- 2 tablespoon of finely grated parmesan
- 2 eggs whisked until pale
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tins of crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup passata
- 1 sprig of thyme
- Salt and Pepper
- Chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Combine all meatball ingredients and mix well. Then ball into golf ball sizes.
- Place in oven tray and roast meatballs for 7 minutes.
- Take out of oven, reduce temp to 180C.
- Pour the tins of tomatoes, passata and thyme over meatballs seasoning well with salt and pepper
- Cook for 45 - 60mins. Meatballs should be tender and sauce should be sweet and rich when ready.
- Finish with chopped parsley and more parmesan
- Serve with cauliflower rice for a healthy twist
Kids are a picky breed. Smuggle in the vegies with this healthy twist on rice. They won't even notice the difference.
- 1 x Cauliflower
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Garlic - optional
- Whizz cauliflower in a food processor to finely chop. It should resemble rice.
- In a fry pan heat Extra Virgin Olive Oil and gently fry cauliflower for 2-3 minutes. It cooks very quickly.
- For added flavour add finely chopped garlic before the cauliflower.
Recipes thanks to Alex Kearns, Executive Chef, Glebe Point Diner