Preparation/cooking time: 2 hours 30 mins
- 1 (1.4 kg) Lamb shoulder
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 cloves Garlic, chopped
- ½ Onion, peeled and diced
- ½ stick Celery, diced
- 1 med size Carrot, peeled and diced
- 150 ml Red wine
- 1 can Cherry tomatoes
- 400ml Chicken stock
- 1 sprig Rosemary
- 2 Bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 500g Dried rigatoni pasta
- 60 g Grated pecorino
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom oven proof pan, add lamb shoulder to brown evenly on both sides than remove and set aside.
- Add garlic, onion, celery, carrot and gently fry for 1-2 minutes while stirring.
- Add red wine and simmer for 2-3 minutes then add tomatoes, stock, rosemary, bay leaves a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper, stir well before returning the lamb shoulder, cover and cook in the oven for about 2 and a half hours or until well cooked and the meat is tender.
- Remove pan from oven and place onto the stove top.
- Gently remove lamb shoulder onto a plate to cool, then remove the bones, flake the meat into the sauce and stir, taste, adjust seasoning if necessary, keep warm.
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil and cook pasta to recommended time as per pack instructions.
- Drain pasta and add to lamb ragu, stir and serve, sprinkle with grated pecorino and some freshly ground pepper.
Tips: Serve with crusty bread or garlic bread.