Kimchi fritters are quick and easy and super delicious. These fritters are topped with sesame oil which just adds a super aromatic flavour. This works as a great light lunch or dinner meal.
You can play around with the fillings i.e. add prawns or use diced chicken, broccoli would also be a nice addition. This is a great way to make a meal out of some kimchi in your fridge and any vegetables or protein that’s in there too. Use a pan that doesn’t stick or a cast iron pan and serve immediately!
- 1 cup or approximately 280g of heaped kimchi (already roughly sliced kimchi)
- 6 tbsp of kimchi juices (from the kimchi jar)
- 200g mushrooms
- ½ leek (ends removed and first 2 layers removed)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil (for fritter batter) and extra for serving
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 6-7 tbsp rice flour (depends on the moisture level of the other ingredients)
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce/tamari sauce
- oil (for cooking)
- ½ bunch of fresh chives (finely sliced)
- 1-2 tsp sesame seeds
- Slice the mushrooms, halve the piece of leek then slice the leek finely into half moons, place into a medium sized bowl. Add the kimchi, the kimchi juice, sesame oil, plain and rice flour, rice vinegar and soy sauce into the bowl and mix through well until completely combined and the mixture has a sticky consistency (adjust the rice flour if necessary).
- Heat a large pan and add a large drizzle of oil. Once hot, reduce the pan to medium heat and add heaped tablespoons of the fritter mix to the pan and pat down. Cook on each side a for a few minutes or until each side is crispy and the fritter is cooked through. Check one by cutting in half. Cook in batches until all cooked.
- Serve with fresh sliced chives, sesame seeds and a drizzle of sesame oil.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Recipe by Anastasia Zolotarev.