This combination of spiced lamb mince and roast eggplant freezes surprisingly well. It’s worth making double and keeping some stashed some away for when you need a delicious dinner and only have a few minutes to pull something together.
- 1 large eggplant, diced into pieces the size of playing dice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500 g lamb mince (can also use beef)
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 x 400 g can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- Salt and dried chilli flakes to taste
- 2 x 350 g containers of hummus
- half a bunch of flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Optional: arils from 1 pomegranate
- Preheat oven to 220C/450F. Line a large baking sheet with baking paper. Add the diced eggplant to the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and season with salt. Bake for 20 minutes, until golden and soft.
- While the eggplant is baking combine the lamb mince with the spices in a fry pan. Brown the mince, then add the drained tin of chickpeas. Taste and season with salt and/or chilli flakes to taste.
- Add the roasted eggplant and pine nuts to the mince and chickpeas and stir to combine. If the mix is too dry, add a little water.
- Divide the hummus among the plates, creating a thin circle of hummus on the base of each plate. Top with the lamb, chickpeas and roasted eggplant mix. Top with the parsley and pomegranate arils.
Recipe by Tori Haschka.