For something different. Use up your leftover hot cross buns in this delicious twist on bread and butter pudding.
Hot Cross Bread & Lemon Pudding
- 2 eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
- 1/3 cup (80g) chilled unsalted butter
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- knob of butter, for the dish
- 4 hot cross buns (can be stale)
- 200g lemon curd (see above for ingredient and below for method)
- 2 large eggs
- 200ml double cream
- 200ml milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- little lemon zest
- cream or vanilla ice cream, to serve (optional)
- Whisk whole eggs, yolks and sugar in a saucepan until smooth, then place pan over a low heat. Add the butter, juice and zest and whisk continuously until thickened. Strain through a sieve into a sterilised jar. Lemon curd keeps, covered, in the fridge for 2 weeks.
- Butter a 1-litre baking dish that will quite snugly fit the buns. Cut each bun into 3 slices, and sandwich back together with a generous spreading of curd. Arrange buns in the dish.
- Whisk egg, cream, milk and remaining curd, then sieve into a jug with the vanilla and 3 tbsp of the sugar. Pour over the buns and stand at room temperature for 30 mins for the custard to soak in.
- Heat oven to 160C. Scatter the remaining sugar and lemon zest over the pudding.
- Bake for 30-40 mins until the top is golden and the custard gently set.
- Stand for 5 mins, then serve with cream or vanilla ice cream, if you like.