Before making our kombucha, read our brief overview with some helpful tips here. This is a recipe for basic kombucha. This kombucha will be ready after a minimum of 7 days as that is the time it takes for the kombucha mother to eat all the added sugar.
- 1 SCOBY culture/kombucha mother
- 4 black or green tea bags
- 1 litre of water filtered
- ¼ cup brown/coconut/other sugar
You will need:
- 1 large jar (1 litre)
- 1 small cloth
- 1 elastic band
- Sterilise the jar and set aside.
- Bring a pot with the water to boil. Remove from the heat and add the tea bags and sugar, stir through. Set aside until completely cooled. Remove the tea bags.
- Pour the cooled tea sugar mix into the sterilised jar and place the kombucha mother on top. Cover with the cloth and elastic band. Set aside out of direct sunlight for 7-10 days (depending on the temperature the kombucha might need 7 or upto 10 days out). If you do like the strength and flavour at 7 days transfer into a sterilised glass bottle and place into the fridge. Repeat the process to prepare the next jar of kombucha.
- To serve drink as is or halve the ratio with filtered water or even mineral water.
This base recipe can be used to make delicious fruity drinks. Below is a recipe for a raspberry and lemon kombucha drink.
RASPBERRY & LEMON KOMBUCHA
- 2 handfuls of fresh raspberries (more or less depending on your preference)
- 2 cups kombucha
- 2 cups filtered water or sparkling mineral water
- 4 lemon slices
- 1 handful ice
- Option 1: Place the raspberries, kombucha, water into a blender/processor and blend until all the ingredients are blended into a liquid consistency. Pass through a sieve and serve with lemon slices and ice immediately (do not keep over night as the lemon slices will turn bitter in the drink).
- Option 2: Mix the kombucha with filtered water and serve with whole raspberries and lemon slices.
Recipe by Anastasia Zolotarev.