Looking for some inspiration for your weeknight dinners? Why not take a trip to the middle east this week with this warm and spicy meal that will knock the socks off your friends and family.
Harissa Lamb with spinach and chickpeas
- 6 tbn Greek yogurt
- 2 loins of lamb
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 red chillies, finely diced
- 3 tbn olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 400g tinned chickpeas
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 200g baby spinach
- ½ bunch coriander
- Extra Greek yoghurt to serve
- 100g red chilles
- 1 red pepper
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 tbn cumin seeds
- 1 tbn coriander seeds
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- ½ tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 -3 tbsp olive oil
- To create the harissa paste, Halve and deseed the chillies, then chop coarsely. Char the red pepper, then skin, core deseed and chop it roughly.
- Peel and finely chop the garlic. Toast the spices in a frying pan over a low heat until spices smell fragrant. Allow to cool.
- Place the chillies and peppers in a blender with the garlic, the toasted spices, red wine vinegar and blend until a smooth paste add olive oil to blend.
- Mix 2 tbn of harissa paste with the Greek yogurt and spread all over the lamb to coat evenly. Leave for at least 30 mins.
- Heat the oven to 180c
- Heat 2 tbn of oil add onions and sweat till translucent. Add garlic and chillies and cook for 1 minute. Add ground spices and cook for a further minute.
- Increase the heat to medium and add the chickpeas, sugar and tomatoes. Allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes until syrupy.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbn of olive oil in a heavy based frying pan, wipe of marinade from the lamb, season and brown the fillets evenly all over. Transfer to a roasting tin and cook in the oven for 6-10 minutes, ideally served pink - medium.
- Add the spinach to the chickpea mixture and stir until just wilted.
- Remove the lamb from the lamb from the oven and leave to rest for 3-4 minutes. Pick the leaves from the coriander stalks.
- Carve the lamb into even slices. Divide the chickpea mixture between 4 plates, top with slices of the lamb and scatter the coriander leaves over the top. Serve with Greek yogurt
Approx. 4 serves
Recipes thanks to Kathy Kordalis, Home Economist