The nut brown butter adds an extra depth of flavour here. You could easily substitute the orange for blood orange or fresh lemon.
Serves 2 as a side dish, or 1 with a poached egg, some quinoa or pearl barley or toast.
- 1 bunch of asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1 tsp olive oil
- zest and juice of half an orange
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt to taste
- Drizzle the asparagus with olive oil. Heat a grill pan or a barbecue to high. Add the asparagus and grill for 2-3 minutes, turning until it is charred and tender.
- Place a saucepan over a medium flame. Add the butter and cook until it is nut brown.
- Pour the nut brown butter over the asparagus, season with salt then use a microplane or zester to add the orange zest, then drizzle over the orange juice.