- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 4 cups water (for rice)
- ½ onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 broccolini bunches
- 1 carrot
- 3 kale leaves
- 2 shallots stems (ends removed)
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup soy sauce or tamari sauce
- ¼ cup or more of sesame oil
- olive or other oil
- salt and pepper
- Prepare the rice first by bringing a medium pot with 4 cups of water to boil. Add the rice, cover with a lid and reduce the heat to the lowest. Cook for 10 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked.
- Meanwhile prep the vegetables. Dice the onion, crush and finely dice the garlic, dice the carrots, roughly chop the kale, roughly chop the broccolini.
- Heat a small pan with oil, use a small whisk or fork to scramble the egg in a small bowl and add it to the hot pan. Cook the egg and then set aside.
- Heat a large pan with oil and add the onion, garlic and carrot. Cook for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add the cooked rice, the broccolini, the kale and the soy sauce. Mix through until well combined and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper then add the scrambled egg, the sesame oil and mix through well.
- Serve the fried rice topped with the shallots.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Serves: 4-6 (as a side)
Recipe and photos by Anastasia Zolotarev. Click here to see her blog.