Impress Mum with this deliciously sweet and salty treat to start her special day.
French Toast with Bacon, Berries and Cream
- 8 short cut rindless bacon
- 8 bread slices
- 4 eggs
- 8 tablespoons milk (2 tablespoons per egg)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Butter, for greasing
- Ground cinnamon, to taste
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup raspberries
- 1/4 cup strawberries
- Harris Farm Markets tripple berry jam
- Creme Fraiche, to serve
- Fresh rosemary sprig, for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Line a baking pan or tray with the bacon and bake for around 15 minutes. If you prefer it crispy, bake for 20 mins or until needed. Note that oven cooking time may vary depending on your oven. Transfer cooked bacon to a plate lined with paper towels.
- While bacon is cooking, grease a non stick frying pan with a small amount of butter over medium heat (but be careful not to burn it).
- Get a bowl big enough for dipping the sliced bread. Crack the eggs into the bowl, add milk, vanilla extract and cinnamon. Beat them together with a fork or whisk.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low once the pan is heated sufficiently. Dip the bread slices into the egg mixture, flipping and coating both sides evenly. You can let it stand for a few seconds per side so the liquid is absorbed. Place each slice onto the pan and cook the toast until golden on both sides.
To serve, assemble toast and bacon as pictured, top with tripple berry jam or syrup, fresh berries and cream.
If you have extra time to make a syrup instead of just using a jam, follow the instructions below.
- Pour 1/2 cup jam and 1-3 tablespoons water into small saucepan over low-medium heat. Stir continuously until jam melts into smooth sauce. (You could use more or less water, depending upon your preference for thick or thin sauce). Add in fresh berries. Allow to cool before use.