A magic combination between a crustless pumpkin pie and a feathery pumpkin flan and a creamy pudding - inspired by a century-old Italian recipe.
Flourless Pumpkin Cake
- 3 medium eggs, at room temperature
- 100 g / scant 1/2 cup caster sugar or light brown sugar
- 150 g / 1 ½ cup almond meal or ground almonds
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 600 g / 2 cups fresh pumpkin puree (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon rum (optional)
- Knob of unsalted butter, for greasing the pan
- Sliced almonds, for garnishing
- Icing sugar, for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Grease a 23-cm (9-inch) tart pan with butter and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until this has dissolved. Add the almond meal, cornstarch, cinnamon and salt and whisk to combine. Finally, add the pumpkin puree and rum (if using), and stir again to incorporate. Spoon the batter into the prepared tin. Smooth the surface, then sprinkle with the sliced almonds.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until fully set and golden on top. The texture will be fairly soft, so don’t fret if the cake shrinks while cooling – sort of like a soufflé – for it’s normal. Dust with icing sugar before serving.
Recipe by this week's #HarrisFarmFoodie Valeria Necchio of Life Love Food.