Ingredients - serves 4
- 750ml vegetable or canola oil
- 2 barramundi fillets cut lengthways
- 1/3 cup rice flour for dusting
- 1 1/4 cups rice flour
- 1 1/4 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 2 1/4 cups ice cold beer
- 1 tbsp honey
- 6 large sebago potatoes - peeled and cut into chips
- 1/3 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp capers, finely diced
- 1 tbsp pickles, finely diced
- 1 tbsp parsley, finely diced
- 1/2 shallot, finely diced
- 1/4 lemon, juiced
- Pinch salt and pepper
- Combine tartare ingredients together and set aside in the refrigerator
- Place cut potatoes in ice cold water for 20 minutes, drain then pat dry
- Pour oil in a heavy bottom saucepan and heat to 140℃ and cook potatoes in two batches for 8 minutes
- Set aside on a paper towel then heat oil to 180℃ and cook potatoes in two batches for 3 - 4 minutes or until golden and crispy. Toss in salt then set aside
- Meanwhile, dust barramundi in rice flour
- Combine all batter ingredients in a large bowl and whisk till nearly smooth (some clumps are ok)
- Dip one piece of fish in batter then fry in oil at 180℃ , cooking for 1-2 minutes each side or until cooked through. Continue with remaining fish.
- Serve with fresh lemon. Enjoy
In 2020, Amir had just resigned from his job as a Project Manager in Melbourne and was about to set off on the adventure of a lifetime – a year of travelling the world with his wife, Alicia. Then, a global pandemic happened.
Amir returned to his job in the construction industry, and spent all of his spare time stuck at home in Melbourne’s strict COVID-19 lockdown. It was here that he reignited his passion for his first ever love, cooking.
The fulfillment Amir experienced from his time spent in the kitchen prompted him to commence the running of zoom cooking classes with his friends. As a result Amir felt compelled to apply for MasterChef 2021.
After 8 amazing weeks on the show, highs and lows, and meeting many great people along the way, Amir left the competition, and is pursuing his dream of educating people of the importance of food for a healthy body and mind.